The month that was: September 2016

What happened:
We celebrated a 60th wedding anniversary - Olly's great grandparents - and I finished up my freelance copywriting work in Kingston upon Thames, which meant it was time to head to Florida. Hurrah! We were in the Sunshine State for a whopping seventeen days - visiting Orlando, Key West and Miami.

   
Orlando was all about the theme parks (Walt Disney World and Universal), plus a trip to Kennedy Space Center; Key West and Miami were all about relaxing. We flew down to Key West from Orlando, then drove in our red Mustang convertible - of course! - up the Florida Keys to Miami. We had a fabulous holiday, and I miss that warm sunshine already! Look out for blog posts about our adventures over the next few weeks.

   

What I ate:
On my penultimate day working in Kingston, I discovered the Kingston Ancient Market, which has so many food stalls. So gutted I didn't find it earlier, but it's a food market I recommend checking out if you're ever that way.

   
And then, of course, America was full of food! Key West was definitely the winner for food on the trip - a Cuban sandwich from Bien for lunch and a visit to The Flaming Buoy Filet Co. for dinner are MUSTS if you're in Key West - though I also highly recommend the shrimp tacos from Wynwood Kitchen and Bar in Miami. Best shrimp tacos EVER! (The fried chicken above ... best batter EVER! "Mom's Favorite Recipes" dish from 50's Prime Time Cafe at Disney's Hollywood Studios; nachos from Pat O'Briens at Universal CityWalk.)

What I watched:
Films watched at home before the holiday: The Scorch Trials, Eddie the Eagle, London Has Fallen, Steve Jobs and How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. Films watched on the plane: Allegiant, Zootropolis, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Elvis & Nixon, Hail Caesar, Bad Neighbours 2, The Nice Guys and Money Monster. Yes, I watched four films back-to-back each way. It was an epic binge session!

What I read:
In September I read 15 books, including Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas and The Night Stalker by Robert Bryndza... I loved both! I was too exhausted in Orlando to read after the parks, but in Key West we had lots of pool time and I (mostly) enjoyed The Selection Stories by Kiera Cass and The Royals Series by Erin Watt. I say mostly as some books in the two respective series were better than others! Anyone read them, and how was your month? x

No comments