Writer Wednesday: Samantha Tonge

Samantha lives in Cheshire with her lovely family and a cat that thinks it’s a dog. Along with writing, her days are spent cycling, willing cakes to rise and avoiding housework. Formally trained as a linguist, Samantha now likes nothing more than holing herself up in the spare room, in front of the keyboard. Writing romantic comedy novels is her passion.

1. Why did you want to become a writer? 
It wasn’t a decision I consciously made – I’ve just always had a feeling that one day I would write. This probably stemmed from being a voracious reader as a child. I finally found time to commit myself to it when my youngest started school.

2. What's the toughest part of the writing process for you? 
 Avoiding the distraction of social media! I LOVE Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and spend a good amount of time telling myself it’s important to go on these platforms *for work*!

3. What's the most enjoyable part of writing? 
Above. No, joking! Writing a chapter that sings to you – that has completely translated the idea that was in your head onto the page. It doesn’t happen as often as I would like.

4. Out of all the amazing books out there, which book do you wish you had written and why? 
Ooh, that’s a difficult one... The Fault In Our Stars, I think. The teenage voice is exquisite.

5. If you could spend the day with your favourite literary character, who would you spend it with and what would you do? 
Ooh, it has to be Mr Darcy. I’d spend every second trying to ruffle his feathers and if I succeeded... well, I won’t overshare.

6. What can we expect next from you? 
I am just about to do the revisions for my festive book, My Big Fat Christmas Wedding, out on 10th November. It is a standalone sequel to my summer release, Game of Scones, set in Greece. I’ve loved spending time with those characters again, especially flirty fisherman Niko and suave executive Henrik!

7. Is there any particular writing advice you wish you'd been given at the start of your writing career? If so, what is it? If not, what advice would you give to someone starting out? 
I wish someone had told me how long it might take to get published. I honestly thought, once I’d written my first novel, that it would be a matter of months! I had a lot to learn about writing and the publishing business - that writing a book doesn’t guarantee publication; that getting an agent doesn’t guarantee a book deal straight off; that getting that book deal doesn’t guarantee overnight success. I wish someone had put my dreams into perspective. It might have made the journey easier!

8. Tell us what a typical writing day involves for you. 
At my desk first thing in pyjamas. I catch up with social media and then might start a bit of writing before bath and breakfast. Then I write on and off all day, with breaks for social media (and domestic duties!) until my children get home from school. After a catch-up with them, I continue. I am very lucky to be able to write full-time.

9. Finally, what are you reading at the moment? 
The Morning After The Life Before by the wonderful Della Galton.

*

A story of icing and flour…and how love doesn’t always go to plan!

Growing up, Pippa Pattinson’s summers were spent in the idyllic Greek island fishing village of Taxos. There she spent many long hazy days determinedly ignoring thoughts of the life her parents had mapped out for her (a dreary-but-secure accounting job and obligatory sensible husband!) Instead she daydreamed of running her own tea shop – serving the perfect scones –with mocha-eyed childhood friend Niko by her side…

Arriving back in Taxos for the first time in years, with suave boyfriend Henrik, Pippa barely recognises the tired little town – but is relieved to catch glimpses of the quaint, charming village she’s always loved. Together Niko and Pippa put together a proposal to save Taxos from tourist-tastic ruin, and at the heart of their plan is Pippa’s dream project - The Tastiest Little Teashop in Taxos. It’s time for Pippa to leave her London life behind and dust off her scone recipe that’s guaranteed to win over both locals and visitors. And amidst the rolling pins and raisins, it seems romance is blossoming where she’s least expecting it…

Follow Samantha on Twitter | Buy Game of Scones on Amazon |
Visit her website  | Like her on Facebook

No comments