Writer Wednesday: Rebecca Pugh

Rebecca Pugh grew up in the green county of Shropshire, with a mind full of fairy-tales and happy endings. Enchanted by true love and Disney Princesses, she decided that no matter what life threw her way, she'd continue to see the world through a child's eyes. Through the pages of countless books, her adoration of reading blossomed, and it didn't take long for her to fall under the spell of hundreds of authors' words.

Now, Rebecca's own story has taken a fairy-tale like turn, and at 22, her dream has come true. With her faithful companions: Bonnie the dog, her partner, and her gigantic family by her side, Rebecca is ready to share her stories with readers who enjoy falling in love and losing themselves within beautiful, fictional worlds.

1. Why did you want to become a writer?
After enjoying other authors’ work for such a long time, I always wondered whether I’d be able to make readers feel that way about my own writing and stories. It really is a magical thing, reading words and being transformed to a completely new place with new people in your mind. I’ve always been in awe of authors who can do that to you, and I wanted more than anything to be able to do it, too.

2. What's the toughest part of the writing process for you? 
Oh, fabulous question! I think it’s ensuring that the pace of the story remains the same throughout! I have a habit of getting really passionate about descriptions of settings, and then skimming over other parts, so my editor picked up on that. It was hard to get myself out of that habit, but something that I had to do to make sure I had and kept the readers’ interest.

3. What's the most enjoyable part of writing? 
 I think it’s definitely the ‘playing’ part, where you’re just starting out, playing with ideas and characters. There are no deadlines and the fictional world really is your oyster in those moments! You can take those characters absolutely anywhere, and the possibilities are endless which I find so, so exciting!

4. Out of all the amazing books out there, which book do you wish you had written and why? 
Another fantastic question! Despite my love of romance and women’s fiction, I do have a deep, dark love for Stephen King. His novel, Needful Things, has to be one of my favourites. He has such an epic imagination, and I just loved how the novel portrayed how greedy people can be, and how everything has a consequence. It was so clever and I was speechless by the time I finished. Another favourite, completely different genre, is If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern. That book is pure magic and moved me to tears more than once, I would have loved to have written such a beautiful novel. Cecelia is a gorgeously talented writer.

5. If you could only save one of your characters from fictional calamity, which would you pick and why?   
In Return to Bluebell Hill, Jessica really does get put through some tough stuff. I’d like to save her, but then if I did, the story wouldn’t be all that exciting! She has to go through the tough stuff to get to her ending, and anyway, she gets saved, just not by me! ;)

6. If you could spend the day with your favourite literary character (not from your books)?
Ahhh, this has always been a tough question but ever since reading The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance by Kirsty Greenwood, I’d definitely have to say Jessica Beam! She is hilarious and I love nothing more than people who can make me laugh until I’m crying. Jessica would do that without a doubt!

7. What can we expect next from you? 
Well, I’m currently working on book 2, although I can’t reveal a great deal yet! You’ll no doubt see me screaming over on Twitter once I have news to share, so I’m sure no one will  miss it, haha!

8. Is there any particular writing advice you wish you'd been given at the start of your writing career? If so, what is it? If not, what advice would you give to someone starting out? 
No, not really. I mean it’s been a learning curve for sure, realising what’s actually involved. I have to admit, I was a bit clueless at the start, but I had lots of help and support which was brilliant and really helped me along! I’m probably not the best person to give out advice, I’m still learning myself, but in regards to anyone who’s maybe dithering over submitting, I’d say go for it! You really don’t know what you’re capable of until you try!

9. Tell us what a typical writing day involves for you. 
 It’s not very exciting, but a writing day normally involves 80’s radio station, coffee and lots of words!

10. Finally, what are you reading at the moment?
Right now, I’m reading Fairytale Beginnings by Holly Martin and Summer at Shell Cottage by Lucy Diamond. Both fabulous authors, and both whisking me away! I definitely recommend both on anybody’s summer reading lists!

*

Home is where the heart is...

Jessica McAdams has never belonged anywhere; never truly felt at home. Of course, what did she expect from parents who never made her feel welcome in her own house? Leaving her life in London to return home to the charming country village of Bluebell Hill is harder than she thought. Especially as she never considered she’d be returning under such heart wrenching circumstances…

Clearing out the stunning and imposing Bluebell House after her parents’ death is difficult for Jessica—they never had the best relationship and now it’s too late. Yet spending time in the house that was never a home, having afternoon tea with dear old friend Esme—and sharing hot, sizzling kisses with delectable gardener Rueben!—opens Jessica’s eyes to the potential of Bluebell House... Could this big old, beautiful manor really be her forever home? Is Bluebell Hill where her heart is, has always been?

Jessica soon dares to dream of her very own home with delicious Rueben by her side. But when a deep, dark secret of Bluebell House is unearthed, Jessica’s world is turned upside down…

Will Jessica ever find where her heart truly lies?

Follow Rebecca on Twitter | Buy Return to Bluebell Hill on Amazon |
Visit her blog | Follow her on Goodreads

No comments