Writer Wednesday: Z. Elizabeth

Z. Elizabeth is a début author who grew up in Wales, UK and wishes she knew how to speak fluent Welsh. Bore da (Good morning), Wedi Bleno (tired) and Ydw (I am) just don't cut it.

Reading has always been a part of her life since she was a young kid and writing came quickly after she discovered her love for studying English Language and writing fiction. Since graduating with a degree in BA Journalism, writing is embedded into her everyday working and personal life. At 15, she finished a full length novel and thought nothing of it until now. The Deal is loosely based upon that story and it's one that she is hugely proud of writing and re-writing and re-writing...

When she isn't slaving away at her day job, you can find her daydreaming about her book boyfriends, reading the next hot book out or binge eating with her friends, continually shocking them with the filth that flies out of her mouth.

Z. Elizabeth hopes that her characters end up on your book boyfriend/girlfriend lists and her book ends up on your favourite list, maybe even your bookshelf.

1. Why did you want to become a writer? 
When I was in secondary school, my favourite lesson was always English Language. I used to love the lessons where we got to write our own stories. When I got to around 14/15, I began writing McFly fan fiction and I had actually written a full blown novel. I had forgotten about the file with so many half written stories in until about two years ago when I began book blogging and stumbled upon it on my laptop. I sent a snippet of one story to Anna Bloom and she encouraged me to rewrite the book- so that's what I did. It was more of a bucket list thing to write a book - something for myself.

2. What's the toughest part of the writing process for you? 
Having the motivation to write. I work 9-5.30pm and I get home after 6. I spend all day on a computer so wanting to turn my laptop on after working all day takes great motivation and encouragement from others.

3. What's the most enjoyable part of writing? 
Learning who your characters are the more you write; their traits, their fears, strengths, their overall attitude and personality. I loved watching everyone grow in The Deal, especially Nic and Craig.

4. Out of all the amazing books out there, which book do you wish you had written and why? 
Oh God, there are so bleeding many! The one that sticks out for me is Laura Ward - Not Yet. I had quit my book blog but I knew I had to write a review for this book. It truly is a book everyone needs to read!

5. If you could only save one of your characters from fictional calamity, which would you pick and why? 
Oh, Matt for sure! If you have read The Deal you know him to be a bit of a cocky asshole who gets all the girls, but you also see a vulnerable side to him further down the line. He needs to be saved and loved and that's what I'm doing at the moment- saving him in book two!

6. If you could spend the day with your favourite literary character (not from your books), who would you spend it with and what would you do? 
Benjamin Chambers from The Uni Files series by Anna Bloom. I’d make Ben serenade me, go to Trafalgar Square and sit on the Lion and then cwtch in the night. Just like a fun day in London, he can show me all the sights!

7. What can we expect next from you? 
As mentioned, I'm motivating myself to get a move on with book two - Matt's book. I have no idea when it will be released yet though but this book will be set in both Swansea and Dublin, to give you a little spoiler!

8. Is there any particular writing advice you wish you'd been given at the start of your writing career? If so, what is it? If not, what advice would you give to someone starting out? 
The only advice that I and others should take on board is 'write every day, no matter how little words you write'. Just wish I actually took on this advice!

9. Tell us what a typical writing day involves for you. 
With The Deal I used to write in work and come home and do half hour sprints with my friend, Mallory. With book two, I began writing it in work too. I see a pattern occurring here. HA.

10. Finally, what are you reading at the moment? 
A Perfect Ten – Linda Kage

*

One feud. Two families. One secret. What happens when you fall for the enemy?

Thanks to their fathers' feud, Nicole and Craig have been enemies since the moment they were born. But six years ago they fell in love... They just never told each other.

Motivated by their grandparents' money, they agree to a simple deal: Stay married for a year and unravel the secrets and lies surrounding their fathers. Bound together, they must figure out why the two former best friends have spent the last thirty years ignoring one another and prohibited any contact between Nicole and Craig.

 Craig is more than happy to uncover their fathers' past if it means he gets Nicole for real. Nicole wants to keep the past exactly where it is and she will fight Craig every step of the way. With only limited time together, delving into their family history could be the mistake that will break both their hearts.

What happens when secrets and lies are revealed? Can Nicole and Craig live their Happily Ever After after waiting six long years to be together? Or will one secret be enough to break them apart, just like their fathers?

Follow Z. Elizabeth on Twitter | Buy The Deal on Amazon |
Visit her website | Like her on Facebook

No comments