Writer Wednesday: Sarah Louise Smith

Sarah Louise Smith is the author of three chick lit novels: Amy & Zach, Izzy's Cold Feet, and Independent Jenny. Sarah lives in Milton Keynes and has a passion for reading and writing, her favourite genre being "chick-lit".

1. Why did you want to become a writer? 
I love getting absorbed in a book, and have been writing stories since I can remember. So it just sort of came naturally; there was no decision, it just happened.

2. What's the toughest part of the writing process for you? 
I usually get about 75% done and then struggle to complete - I am by that point often thinking about the next book. But I try to be disciplined it always comes together eventually.

3. What's the most enjoyable part of writing? 
It's very satisfying reading through the final manuscript; knowing that it's all come together I've got a whole story ready to send to my publisher. I also love hearing from readers (who doesn't like a bit of ego-flattery!) 

4. Out of all the amazing books out there, which book do you wish you had written and why? 
Well my absolute favourite is Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen. The first chick-lit, she was way ahead of her time with her wit, humour, etc. but the relationship issues she explored could be just as likely to happen in 2015 as 1813.

5. If you could only save one of your characters from fictional calamity, which would you pick and why? 
Izzy from Izzy's Cold Feet. She's my favourite (don't tell the others) - I'm not sure why, but I just like her best. I like the guy she ends up with best too!

6. If you could spend the day with your favourite literary character (not from your books), who would you spend it with and what would you do? 
Elizabeth Bennett. We'd talk about books and Mr. Darcy ;)

7. What can we expect next from you?
My next book is called The Truth About Ellen. It's about a girl who gets to date a guy from a band she used to love as a teen, but she doesn't tell him everything about herself...

8. Is there any particular writing advice you wish you'd been given at the start of your writing career? If so, what is it? If not, what advice would you give to someone starting out?
Keep writing. It took me 10 years to actually complete a novel because I kept starting, stopping, procrastinating... you just have to keep at it, and be dedicated. And keep with the same novel rather than starting new ones all the time!

9. Tell us what a typical writing day involves for you. 
I tend to write a lot in one day, then not for a few days. So that one writing day, I'll get up "in the mood" to write... I'll literally get my MacBook, and sit in my pyjama's writing. I don't eat or drink - my husband has to remind me to keep hydrated - and I'll keep going until bed time. Then I'll think about it all for a few days, and go back to it again.

10. Finally, what are you reading at the moment? 
I'm just starting The Single Girl's To Do List by Lindsey Kelk. I've read a few of her others and enjoyed them so looking forward to getting into this one!

Independent Jenny

"I slept with someone else"

Those five words changed everything.

After her husband Ross drops a bombshell, Jenny's emotions go hay-wire. Things are made even more complex when his brother Aiden makes a confession of his own...

A holiday escape with her friend Hayley seems the perfect way to figure out what - and who - she wants. But Hayley has a hidden motive that results in Jenny spending time with her ex-boyfriend Will, who is now married.

Should Jenny forgive Ross? Can she ignore her feelings for romantic Aiden? And why can't she get Will out of her head?

One thing is for sure: Jenny doesn't want to be alone. Surely any man is better than no man, right?

Follow Sarah Louise on Twitter | Buy her books on Amazon | Visit her website |

No comments